- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 40 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This classic vanilla sauce is wonderful warm as a dessert sauce or chilled and poured over berries.
1. Heat the milk and vanilla bean, if using, in a medium saucepan until it bubbles form around the edges. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Using the tip of a knife, scrape half of the seeds from the bean into the milk. Rinse the vanilla bean and save for another use.
2. Beat the yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in the hot milk. Rinse and dry the saucepan, and return the milk mixture to the pan.
3. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard is thick enough to coat the spoon (an instant-read thermometer will read 185°F (85°C)). Do not boil.
4. Strain through a sieve into a bowl. If not using the vanilla bean, stir in the vanilla extract. To serve warm, use immediately. Or place plastic wrap directly on the surface, pierce a few holes in the wrap, and let cool.
Variation: Citrus Crème Anglaise
Add the grated zest of 1 lemon or orange to the strained custard.
Prepare ahead: The sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated until required.
Nutritional information is based on 24 servings.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox