Although I love canned cranberry sauce, when I have time I like to make this homemade version, which is truly the easiest and the very best.
- 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated orange zest
- 1 cup (250 ml) orange juice
- ½ tsp (2 ml) grated ginger root
- 1 package (12 oz/375 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped pecans, toasted (see Variation)
1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, orange zest, orange juice and ginger. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Add cranberries and cook until they pop, about 5 minutes. Stir in pecans. Remove from heat and let cool.
Variation: If you don’t care for pecans, substitute raisins, currants or blueberries.
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings.