- Course: Dessert, Snack
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 15 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Turn to these moist, chewy bars when you want the perfect snack. The dried cranberries add a tangy note that makes them really satisfying on their own or with a cup of tea or coffee.
1. Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Stir the oats, flour, pecans, cranberries, and baking soda together in a bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar with a large rubber spatula. Beat in the egg, then the applesauce, cinnamon, and ginger.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top.
5. Bake the bars for about 25 minutes, or until they are firm when pressed with a fingertip.
6. Cool in the pan on a rack.
7. Invert to a cutting board and peel off the paper.
8. Use a ruler to cut into 2-inch bars.
STORAGE: Keep the bars between sheets of wax paper in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per bar: 163 calories, 7 g total fat (39% of calories), 2 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 14 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium