This bread is just the thing for entertaining in the afternoon with coffee or tea, or for dessert after a light lunch. It also makes a nice holiday gift. It freezes very well — just wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap.
- 2½ cups (625 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- Egg replacer for 1 egg, prepared according to package directions
- ¾ cup (175 ml) granulated natural cane sugar or other dry sweetener
- ¼ cup (50 ml) melted soy margarine or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated orange zest
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) vanilla-flavor rice milk or soy milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped pecans
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried cranberries
- 9-by 5-inch (1.5 l) loaf pan, greased and floured
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg replacer, sugar, margarine and orange zest. Add rice milk and mix well. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir vigorously for 1 minute or until smooth. Stir in pecans and dried cranberries.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack for 20 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool completely.
If you like tangy flavors, replace the dried cranberries with ¾ cup (175 ml) coarsely chopped fresh cranberries. Substitute chopped walnuts for the pecans.
Nutritional information is based on 9 servings.