- Course: Side Dish, Starch
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 26 Times
Southern-style goodness. Serve this comforting bread warm with lots of butter and honey.
- Butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup diced, crisp-cooked bacon
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then stir in the buttermilk, bacon, melted butter, and egg and mix gently.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, set on the center rack of the oven, and bake for 25 minutes. The corn bread is done when the edges are lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into 3-inch squares to serve.
Variation: Spoon the batter into 10 greased muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes.
© 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 2007 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
Nutritional information is based on using 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the pan.