- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 8 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This is a variation on tabbouleh, the Middle Eastern cracked-wheat salad made with lots of olive oil, lemon, mint, tomato, and parsley. In this version, cilantro replaces parsley and instead of tomatoes we have raw corn, chopped cucumber, and radishes. Summer corn is so sweet and tender that you don’t need to cook it for this recipe. Be sure to buy medium cracked wheat. If you want to substitute bulgur wheat for cracked wheat, you will need to soak it in hot water for only 20 to 30 minutes.
1. To make the salad, place the cracked wheat in a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over it, and let stand until the wheat absorbs the water. This should take about 1 hour.
2. Pour the wheat into a colander to drain off any excess water. Transfer to a kitchen towel and wring out any additional moisture. Place in a medium bowl.
3. Add the red onion, cucumber, radishes, carrots, and corn. Mix with a two-pronged fork to keep the wheat fluffy. Add the parsley, chives, and cilantro.
4. To make the dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until well blended.
5. Pour the dressing over the wheat mixture and toss with two forks. Taste for seasoning. Place in a serving bowl, garnish with the cilantro leaves, and serve.
Advance Preparation: This may be prepared 8 hours ahead and refrigerated.
Nutritional information includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt, but does not include Summer Vinaigrette or Garnish. For nutritional information on Summer Vinaigrette, please follow the link above.