- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 3 Times
- 1 pound lump crabmeat (picked over)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup very finely chopped celery
- Hazel Dressing (recipe follows)
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ¾ teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
- ½ teaspoon salt
In a medium-size bowl combine the crabmeat, romaine, tomatoes, celery and 1¼ cups Hazel Dressing, being careful not to break up crabmeat.
Serve on a bed of lettuce; sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Serve the remaining dressing in a bowl at the table.
The dressing: In a food processor or blender, blend the egg and egg yolks for 2 minutes. Leave the machine running and gradually add the oil in a thin stream. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend until thoroughly mixed.
Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 3 cups.
The Hazel Dressing may be made several days ahead.
© 1984 Paul Prudhomme
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox