- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 20 Times
This richly spiced dish makes a colorful Moroccan feast.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb 5 oz (600g) boneless leg of lamb, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 6 chicken legs, about 3 lb 3 oz (1.5kg)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1in (2.5cm) pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tsp harissa (hot Moroccan chile paste)
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 15 oz (420g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes
- 6 oz (175g) chorizo, thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2¼ cups couscous
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Large flameproof casserole
1. Heat the oil in the casserole over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and chicken and cook, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
2. Add the eggplant, red pepper, onion, and garlic to the casserole and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Stir in the harissa, paprika, and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
3. Return the lamb and chicken to the casserole. Add the zucchini, stock, beans, tomatoes, and chorizo and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer about 1 hour, or until the meats are tender.
4. Strain the mixture in a colander set over a wide skillet. Transfer the meat and vegetables to a platter and cover to keep warm. Boil the strained liquid over high heat for about 5 minutes, or until slightly reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring 3 cups water and ½ tsp salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the couscous and remove from the heat. Cover and let stand until the couscous is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir the meats and vegetables into the couscous. Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve hot.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 1 month.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.