This homestyle favorite, made with potatoes, onions, peppers, and vegan sausage, makes a hearty brunch or dinner.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Textureherby, meaty, savory
- 8 ounces small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 ounces store-bought vegan sausage links, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 ounces Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground cayenne
Steam the potatoes over a pot of boiling water until fork tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook 6 to 8minutes, until they begin to turn to brown. Reduce the heat to medium if the potatoes get too dark, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pepper and sausage and cook 2 minutes, or until the pepper starts to soften and the sausage begins to brown.
Add the tofu, chard, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the tofu begins to turn golden.
Add the yeast, lemon juice, herbs, salt, and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. If the mixture is dry, add a splash of water. Add the reserved potatoes to the tofu mixture and cook another 5 minutes. Serve immediately
2010 Tamasin Noyes