These rolls are synonymous with British summer picnics and garden parties.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder (either mild or hot, according to taste)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup (115g) mayonnaise
- 6 canned apricot halves in juice
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 8 small rolls, preferably oval, split and spread with softened butter or left plain
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook for about 2 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the curry powder and stir for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Process the shallot mixture, mayonnaise, and drained apricot halves in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chicken. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
3. Spoon the chicken salad onto the rolls, and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Egg Salad Rolls: Substitute 4 chopped, hard-boiled eggs for the chicken. If desired, add the grated zest of 1 lemon.