- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: A Day Or More
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 10 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
A refreshing cross between a salsa and a true cooked relish.
1. Heat 2 tsp of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, until beginning to soften.
2. Add the cherry tomatoes, chile, brown sugar, and cayenne and stir well to mix. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook 5 minutes, until the tomatoes soften.
3. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Stir in the corn, ketchup, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Substitute 2 tsp ras-al-hanout (North African spice mixture) for the chile and cayenne. Serve warm.
Add ½ cup finely diced red, green, and yellow pepper with the cilantro.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox