This recipe makes a great alternative to a hot, fudgy sauce. It is meant to be served after it has cooled completely to room temperature, so don’t be surprised if it is thin when warm. It will thicken upon cooling.
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or dark rum
1. Combine the milk, sugar, and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Stir well to mix, then place the pan over low heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from the heat, stir in the chocolate, and whisk smooth. Whisk in the salt and vanilla.
3. Pour the sauce into a bowl and cool it to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep the sauce at room temperature if you are serving it on the day it is made.
SERVING: Pass the sauce in a sauceboat or bowl.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per serving: 109 calories, 8 g total fat (66% of calories), 4 g saturated fat, 2 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 2 mg cholesterol, 5 mg sodium