Mango and coconut are a match made in heaven; when combined with Thai red curry paste, the flavors in this soup are to die for.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Thai red curry paste
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated ginger
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 can (14 oz/400 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1¼ (300 mL) cups water
- ½ cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 large mango, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh basil
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Add curry paste and sauté for 1 minute.
2. In a food processor or blender, pureé onion mixture, mangos, brown sugar, ginger and salt until smooth. Add coconut milk, water, yogurt and lime juice; process to combine. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours, or overnight. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary.
3. Prepare the relish: In a small bowl, combine mango, brown sugar and basil. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Ladle soup into chilled bowls and top each with a dollop of mango relish.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.