- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 2 Times
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
- Baking sheet, sprayed with baking spray
Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C).
1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar and salt, beating until mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Sift cocoa into bowl; fold into meringue along with pecans.
2. Put mixture in a pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe small kisses onto prepared baking sheet (alternatively, drop mixture by teaspoonfuls (5 mL) onto baking sheet). Bake for 1 hour or until firm and dry.
It’s easier to separate eggs when they’re cold, but egg whites beat to a greater volume when at room temperature.
Babrb’s Nutrition: The leavening (“lightening”) agent in these cookies is the air trapped in the meringue (egg whites beaten with sugar).
© 2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD