- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 15 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Here is a hearty sandwich of chicken, bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce, layered between slices of toasted bread, guaranteed to satisfy those hunger pangs. Great with sweet or dill gherkins and other pickles on the side.
1. Mix together the herbs, 1 tbsp olive oil, and garlic in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts, toss to coat, and set aside for 30 to 90 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. In batches, cook the bacon for about 5 minutes, until crisp and golden. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels, leaving the fat in the pan.
3. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until the flesh feels firm when pressed in the center. Transfer to a plate.
4. Meanwhile, toast the bread. Arrange the slices on a large cutting board. Trim the crusts if desired. Cut the bacon slices in half.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Spread the toast with the mayonnaise mixture. Slice the chicken breasts against the grain. Arrange half of the chicken on four of the toasted bread slices. Top the chicken with half of the bacon, tomato slices, and lettuce. Top each with a slice of toast. Repeat with the remaining chicken, bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce, then top with the remaining 4 slices of toast, mayonnaise-side down.
6. Cut each sandwich in half, diagonally. Push a cocktail toothpick through the center of each triangle to hold it together, and top each with a pickle.
Fish Club Sandwich: Replace the chicken with pan-fried white fish fillets, such as cod or haddock. And, use tartar sauce on the toast instead of the mustard-mayonnaise mixture.
Substitute fresh slices of turkey for the chicken, if desired.
The recipe can be made through step 5 up to 2 hours in advance.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox