(1 piece of chicken with vegetables per serving)
I have a real soft spot for this creamy stew, which reminds me of chicken pot pie without the crust. I obtain a similar effect by serving it over crostini placed in the bottom of a soup plate. Add a tossed green salad for a complete and delicious meal.
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp (2 ml) dried thyme leaves or 3 whole sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup (50 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups (375 ml) lower-salt chicken broth
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine or lower-salt chicken broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) skinless bone-in chicken thighs (about 12 thighs)
- 1 cup (250 ml) green peas, thawed if frozen
1. In a saucepan, combine potato and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and set aside.
2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook, stirring, until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes. Add thyme, bay leaf and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and white wine and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 minutes. Drain reserved potato and add to mixture. Season to taste with pepper.
3. Arrange chicken over bottom of slow cooker stoneware and cover with vegetable mixture. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork. Add peas and stir well. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until peas are tender and mixture is hot and bubbly.
This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Complete Steps 1 and 2. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, continue with the recipe.