I created this recipe when I was the Executive Chef at Raven’s, located at the Stanford Inn in Mendocino, California. Add your favorite nuts and dried fruits, and if you don’t like something in this ingredient list, omit it … you can use as many or as little nut varieties as you like - have fun making it your own! Make a batch on the weekend and you can enjoy throughout the week. Keep the granola in sealable plastic bags and put them in the car or wherever else you may be tempted to grab a treat. Raw nuts have more nutritional value than roasted ones, which is why you save part of them to add in at the end of the recipe.
- 2 lemons, zested
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1½ orange, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (or ¼ cup maple and ¼ cup honey)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups organic rolled oats
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raw sesame seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened dried coconut
- ¼ cup flaxseed, ground
- 1 cup dried fruit
- ½ cup plain or flavored organic kefir
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Stir zest, juice, extra virgin olive oil, maple syrup, egg whites and vanilla together in a medium-sized bowl.
2. In a large bowl mix the oats, ½ of the nuts, ½ the sunflower seeds, all the sesame seeds and the coconut. Stir in syrup mixture.
3. Spread thinly on two cookie sheets covered in parchment paper or tinfoil for easy cleanup. Bake for 15 minutes then stir granola on trays with a wooden spoon. Continue to bake for seven more minutes or until golden brown.
4. Remove and cool. Stir in remaining nuts, flaxseed, and dried fruit.
5. When completely cooled, store in airtight containers and enjoy for up to a month, or keep in freezer for up to six months.
6. Serve with organic kefir and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.