- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 95 Times
The pork shoulder roast practically melts into this flavorful sauce. A hearty pasta like rigatoni is the perfect choice, and the ragu is also good on polenta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, rolled and tied
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 28-ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and brown it on all sides. Remove the meat to a large slow cooker.
Add the onion and fennel seeds to the skillet and cook until the onion is tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, sage, and rosemary. Add the tomato puree, tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and stir well. Pour the sauce into the slow cooker. Add the crushed red pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or until the pork is very tender.
Remove the meat to a cutting board but leave the sauce in the slow cooker with the heat on. With two forks, tear the pork into bite-size pieces. Return the pork to the cooker to reheat. Stir in the basil.
© 2010 Michele Scicolone
Nutritional information is based on 20 servings and includes 1 teaspoon of added salt.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox