A worthwhile indulgence.
- 9 oz (250g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 6 amaretti cookies, crushed
- Confectioner's sugar, to garnish
- 8in (20cm) springform pan
1. Line the pan with plastic wrap. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and set aside.
2. Combine the egg whites and granulated sugar in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan pan of simmering water. Beat for 5 minutes, until it stands in stiff, shiny peaks.
3. Fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites, then the whipped cream and brandy. Pour into the pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until set.
4. Remove the sides of the pan. Invert onto a plate. Sprinkle with the cookies and confectioner's sugar. Serve chilled.