- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 12 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This pudding must also be boiled for the specific time; start timing once it begins boiling, not before.
1) Put the egg yolk in a medium heatproof bowl and lightly beat it.
2) In another bowl, combine the cocoa, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Pour in ½ cup of the milk and whisk until a smooth paste forms.
3) Bring the remaining milk to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat (boiling milk scorches quickly) and whisk the cocoa paste into the hot milk. Put it back on the burner, bring it to a boil, and cook for exactly 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat.
4) Gradually pour about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk, whisk it smooth, and pour it back into the pot. Bring the pudding back to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Do not boil. Stir in the vanilla. Pour into serving dishes and chill. Cover the bowls of pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per Serving: Calories 179; Protein 7g; Fat 4g (Saturated 2g); Carbohydrates 32g; Fiber 2g; Sodium 147mg