Chocolate Marble Vanilla Cheesecake
For a mocha flavor, dissolve 2 tsp (10 mL) instant coffee in same amount of water and add to batter.
When using margarine, choose a soft (nonhydrogenated) vrsion to limit consumption of trans fats.
Make ahead: Prepare up to 2 days ahead. Freeze for up to 6 weeks.
Makes20 slices (1 slice per serving)
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, chocolatey, creamy, rich, sweet
Type of Dishcake, cheesecake
- 2 cups (500 mL) chocolate wafer crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) margarine or butter, melted
- 2 cups (500 mL) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% cottage cheese
- 1¾ cups (425 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) light sour cream
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 2 oz (50 g) semisweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan, sprayed with vegetable spray
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Crust: In a bowl, combine crumbs, water and margarine; mix well. Press onto sides and bottom of springform pan; refrigerate.
In a food processor, combine ricotta and cottage cheeses, sugar and eggs; process until completely smooth. Add flour, sour cream and vanilla; process until well combined. Pour into pan. Melt chocolate with water and stir until smooth. Spoon onto cake in several places and swirl through lightly with a knife. Bake for 65 minutes or until set around edge but still slightly loose in center. Let cool; refrigerate until well chilled.
2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD