- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 12 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This almond cake has a dense, spongy texture. Freshly whipped cream and strawberries are the perfect accompaniment.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine sugar, butter, almond paste and almond extract. Process until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, processing well after each addition.
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to almond mixture and process just until blended. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan on a rack. Run a knife around the side to loosen and invert cake onto a serving plate. Remove parchment.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave on High for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is shiny and almost melted. Stir until smooth. Using a fork, randomly drizzle the melted chocolate over top of cake. Refrigerate cake until chocolate hardens.
4. Serve cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, if desired.
To bring cold butter to room temperature in a hurry, use a microwave oven. I usually set it on Medium (50%) for 10 to 20 seconds, making sure not to melt the butter.
Nutritional information does not include optional strawberries or whipped cream.