- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 21 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This is a rich sauce, that can be served hot or cold. Good with fresh fruit or poured over sponge cake.
1. Bring the milk just to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Do not boil.
2. Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a heatproof bowl until pale yellow and thick. Slowly whisk in the warm milk.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard coats the spoon (an instant-read thermometer will read 185°F (85°C)). Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and vanilla. Let stand until the chocolate softens, then melts.
4. Strain through a sieve into a bowl. Serve warm, or let cool, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour, until chilled.
Variation: Chocolate-orange Custard
Stir the grated zest of 1 orange to the strained sauce.
Prepare ahead: The sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 1 day before serving.
Nutritional information is based on 24 servings.