Look, I’m not claiming this is the healthiest breakfast in the world, but I think you can let them try their hand at these once in a while at the weekend, don’t you?
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons best-quality unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips (plus more for sprinkling later)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400°F and fill a muffin tin with paper cups.
Measure out the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring cup. Mix both together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins (although my children always over-mix as they argue over whose turn it is to stir next) then spoon into the waiting muffin cups. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top then cook for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.