Friday is eagerly anticipated Cookie Day at the Ranch. The lucky staff member who walks around with the basket, handing out cookie bliss, is the recipient of many a heartfelt gracias! Who wouldn’t be happy? Each cookie is packed with tart cranberries and chewy, crisp oats and has a fat chocolate beso in the middle. Although made with healthy grains, these are real cookies, so keep them small and enjoy in moderation.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup wheat flake cereal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Chocolate kisses, unwrapped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, then the milk, beating until combined. (The milk will not quite combine with the butter or the mixture will look a little separated, but this is fine.)
3. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, cereal, pastry flour, almonds, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the chocolate chips and cranberries.
4. Add oat mixture to the milk mixture, and mix on the lowest speed until thoroughly combined. Use a tablespoon measure or small ice cream scoop to scoop the dough onto lightly oiled baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each scoop. Press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Bake for 14 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serving size is 1 cookie.