- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 4 Times
This gelato pleases both the coffee lover and the chocoholic. If you’re really addicted to coffee, double the coffee granules for a real kick.
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk, divided
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
- 2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided
1. In a small bowl, whisk ½ cup (125 mL) milk with cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together remaining milk, sugar and cocoa powder. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Whisk in coffee granules. Whisk the cornstarch mixture to recombine. Gradually whisk into sugar mixture. Return to a boil, stirring often. Strain into a clean large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Stir in vanilla and half of the chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
4. Stir milk mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add remaining chocolate during last 5 minutes of freezing and let machine stir it in.
Sprinkle 2 tsp (10 mL) sliced almonds, chopped hazelnuts or chopped pecans over each serving.
© 2008 Marilyn Linton and Tanya Linton