- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 24 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
A dense, moist cake with a rich ganache topping.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8in (20cm) springform cake pan. Line with wax paper and dust with flour.
2. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and cool until tepid.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer for 3 minutes, until pale and creamy. One at a time, beat in the egg yolks, then the chocolate. Stir in the almonds, bread crumbs, baking powder, brandy, and almond extract.
4. Beat the egg whites in another bowl until they form soft peaks. Fold into the batter. Spread in the pan.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Invert and release the cake onto the rack set over a baking sheet. Remove the paper. Let cool completely.
6. To make the ganache, melt the butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Pour the ganache over the cake and spread over the top and sides with a metal spatula. Let the ganache set. Cut into slices and serve.
Freeze for up to 1 month
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox