Chilled Potato, Pear, and Arugula Soup
The rather strange-sounding combination of ingredients work together in this exceptional cold soup.
Makes10 to 12 servings
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursecold appetizer
Taste and Texturecreamy, fruity, savory, spiced, sweet, winey
Type of Dishcold soup
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 3 ribs celery, minced
- 2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
- 5 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 4 cups arugula, rinsed and stems removed, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, wine, and potatoes. Simmer the soup just until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
Add the pears and arugula to the soup and simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the light and heavy creams. Stir in the coriander. Process the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Refrigerate the soup until cold. To serve, ladle the cold soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a whole arugula leaf.
1987 Sarah Leah Chase