The vibrant hue and intense flavor of this soup will have everyone begging for the recipe.
- 3 cups (750mL) chopped white onions
- 3 (45mL) tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500mL) sliced red bell peppers, peeled, seeded and grilled
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- ½ (2mL) tsp salt
- ¼ tsp (1mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 5 (1.25 L) cups chicken stock
- ½ cup (125mL) half and half (10%) cream
- 1 tbsp (15mL) tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ (125mL) cup crème fraîche or plain yogurt
- 1/3(75mL) cup chopped fresh basil
1. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add garlic, peppers, basil, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
3. Add stock; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. In a blender or food processor, purée mixture in batches. Pour into a large bowl. Allow to cool. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (at least 3 hours).
4. When ready to serve, stir in half-and-half and vinegar. Adjust seasoning to taste. Ladle into soup bowls. Add a dollop of crème fraîche and a little chopped basil to each serving.