- Course: Cold Appetizer
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 17 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
The sweetness of pears blends beautifully with the complex spices of India.
1. In a large pot, melt 5 tbsp (75 mL) of the butter over medium-high heat. Add pears, onions, leeks and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and sauté for 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and curry powder; sauté for 5 minutes or until pears are soft.
2. Gradually whisk in stock and wine; simmer for 15 minutes, reducing heat if necessary, until soup is velvety and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the garnish: In a small skillet, heat the remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add green onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add honey and sesame oil; sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Using an immersion blender, or in a food processor or blender in batches, pureé soup until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours, or overnight. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
5. Ladle into chilled bowls and top with yogurt garnish. Draw a chopstick or knife through the yogurt to create a decorative swirl.
To trim leeks, cut off and discard the root end and the dark green tops (or save the tops for stock). Cut leeks lengthwise and wash under running water to remove any grit or dirt. Then cut as directed in the recipe.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.