Chilled Beet Soup
This soup can be made one day ahead of time.
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturelight, savory, sweet
Type of Dishcold soup
- 3 pounds small new beets, with their leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, including some of the green, halved lengthwise
- 2 lemons, cut into eight wedges
- 5 stems fresh dill
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Sour cream, chopped fresh dill, and grated lemon zest for garnishes
Trim the beets, leaving 2 inches of the stems and the roots ends attached to prevent bleeding. Reserve the leaves.
Wash the beets and leaves thoroughly.
Place the beets and leaves in a soup kettle and add the remaining soup ingredients. Pour in 1 quart of water. Bring a boil over high heat and reduce the heat to low. Simmer about 45 minutes or until the beets are tender and cooked through. Remove the beets and turn off the heat. Under cold running water, slip off the skins and stems. Cut the beets into fine julienne.
Strain the broth, discarding the solids, and add the beet julienne to the soup. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream with a little chopped dill and grated lemon zest.