- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 9 Times
This hearty soup is wonderful for lunch, served with just a crunch of baked tortilla shoestrings. Serve the soup with a sandwich for a light dinner. To make the shoestrings, see Tortilla Toasts
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (1 tablespoon sliced tops reserved for garnish)
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon ground pure hot red chile, or to taste
- Few grates of fresh nutmeg
- Baked tortilla shoestrings , for garnish (optional)
1. Place the potatoes, scallions, and 1 cup water in a 2-quart glass or microwavable plastic bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on full power for 10 minutes (see *Note).
2. Transfer the potato mixture to a food processor. Add the milk and 2 teaspoons of the chile and process until pureed. Stir in the nutmeg. Return to the 2-quart container and microwave for about 2 minutes, or until hot. Serve each bowl garnished with the reserved chile and scallion.
To cook conventionally, place the sweet potatoes, 1 cup water, and scallions in a heavy, medium saucepan, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Puree as above.
© 1998 Jane Butel
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per serving: Calories 142, Protein 6 g, Carbohydrates 28 g, Fiber 3 g, Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 2 mg, Sodium 86 mg.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox