- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 173 Times
Chickpeas are widely used in Spain as a basis for a variety of beautifully seasoned stews such as this one.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 thick slice of crusty white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 lb 10 oz (750g) leaf spinach
- One 15 oz (240g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Add the torn bread and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
2. Remove any thick stems from the spinach. Wash the spinach well and shake off any excess water. Put the spinach in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often until it has wilted. Drain in a colander and cool. A handful at a time, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a chopping board and chop coarsely.
3. Add the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, until warmed through. Add the chickpeas, garlic, paprika, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Crumble in the fried bread.
4. Add the vinegar and 2 tbsp water, and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are hot. Serve immediately.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.