It’s worth your while to seek out a yogurt that’s not overly processed for this raita (and, for that matter, any other use); national brands often add thickeners to their yogurts, which significantly change the yogurt’s natural consistency. If they’re all that’s available to you, just whisk the yogurt with a little water to thin it out.
- 1½ cups plain yogurt, preferably full fat
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained (canned are fine)
- 1/4 cup minced cucumber (leave the skin on if it’s unwaxed)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Salt and black pepper
1. Combine the yogurt, chickpeas, cucumber, onion, sugar, cumin, and mustard in a bowl.
2. Add red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.