- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 37 Times
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 8 cups reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 cup drained canned hominy
- 2 dried Ancho chillies, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen white corn
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Corn tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
In a saucepan, combine chicken breasts and water. Bring to gentle simmer and cook just until set in center.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, combine onion, garlic and oil; Add the cumin and chili powder and cook, stirring, until onions are tender. Set aside.
Transfer cooked chicken to plate to cool. Strain cooking liquid into another saucepan. Add canned broth, drained hominy, and ancho chiles to cooking liquid and bring to simmer. Add corn and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and reserved onion mixture and cook until heated through.
In each soup bowl, arrange some tortilla chips. Shred cooled chicken and divide among bowls. Ladle hot soup over chips and chicken; top with grated cheese.
© 2015 Jon Ashton
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox