Substitute duck or rabbit bones for chicken bones, if you like. (Rabbit makes a particularly flavorful stock.)
Makes2 to 3 qt/2 to 3 L
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Type of Dishstock
- 3 lb/1.5 kg chicken bones with bits of meat and skin attached
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
Put all the ingredients into a large pot and add enough cold water to cover completely. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 2½ hours, skimming any foam that forms on the surface.
Strain the stock, discarding the solids. Rinse out the pot, then return the stock to it and simmer for about 30 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate or freeze in several containers. If desired, refrigerate for about 3 hours, until the fat rises to the top and solidifies, then remove the far before freezing.
2009 Colman Andrews