This hearty winter casserole is a main meal in itself, but is especially good when served with freshly steamed vegetables.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- ½ rutabaga, pared and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup milk, as needed
- Large, flameproof casserole
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour to coat. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a casserole over medium-high heat. In batches, add the chicken, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate. Pour the fat from the pan.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the carrots, leeks, celery, and rutabaga and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown. Stir in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, baking powder, dried herbs, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the parsley and stir in enough milk to make a soft dough. Divide into 12 balls.
4. Arrange 12 spoonfuls of the dough in the stew, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot.