- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 4 Times
As a special Passover treat the Jews of Georgia prepare these delicious soup dumplings from walnuts, eggs, and matzo meal. Serve a few in the soup and save some for later. They are delicious cold, accompanied by a piquant sauce. The oregano in this recipe should really be fresh.
- 1½ cups finely ground walnuts
- ¼ cup minced onions
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup matzo meal
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large egg white, whisked until frothy
- 7 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup chopped mixed dill, cilantro and parsley
1. In a large bowl, combine all the walnut ball ingredients.
2. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil. Have a bowl of cold water by you. Dipping your hands in the water, shape the walnut mixture into 2-inch balls. Drop them into the boiling water, and cook until cooked through, 10 minutes. Remove the balls with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
3. Heat the chicken stock. Ladle into soup bowls, add three walnut balls to each bowl and add garnish with fresh herbs.
© 1990 Anya von Bremzan and John Welchman
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox