- 6 cups cooked chicken, cut up into good-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup diced tender celery stalks
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely cut fresh tarragon leaves (or ¼ tsp dried tarragon)
- 2/3 cup or so mayonnaise
- Fresh salad greens, washed and dried
- All or a choice of sliced or chopped hard-boiled eggs, parsley sprigs, strips of red pimiento
Toss the chicken with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, celery, onion, and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or overnight. Drain out any accumulated liquid; toss with the parsley and tarragon. Taste analytically and correct seasonings. Fold in just enough mayonnaise to enrobe ingredients. Shred the greens, arrange on a platter, and mound the salad on top. Spread a thin coat of mayonnaise over the chicken and decorate with the eggs, parsley, and pimiento strips.
This recipe serves 8, includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include all or a choice of sliced or chopped hard-boiled eggs, parsley sprigs, strips of red pimiento for decoration.