- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 20 Times
Here’s a delicious, low-cal recipe that takes advantage of the speed and versatility of the microwave oven. Only one dish is needed to cook and serve, making after-dinner cleanup a breeze. Serve with rice or noodles along with a green salad to round out this menu, which takes only 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, into thin 2-inch (5 cm) strips cut
- 1 cup (250 mL) well-drained canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) small black olives (see Notes)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1¼ lbs/625 g)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish with lid
1. In casserole dish, combine oil, onion, garlic, thyme and fennel seeds. Microwave, covered, on High for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is softened.
2. Add green pepper and tomatoes. Microwave, covered, on High for 3 to 5 minutes or until pepper strips are softened.
3. Add olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange chicken in single layer in dish and spoon sauce over breasts.
4. Microwave, covered, on Medium-High (70%) for 6 to 9 minutes until chicken is no longer pink when cut into center, rearranging breasts once during cooking. Stir in parsley. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
Supermarkets stock a wide selection of black olives. Use whatever type you prefer. My preferred choice in this recipe are wrinkled dry-cured black olives, but the saltier Greek Kalamata variety or mild-flavored canned black olives also work well.
Use the speed of your microwave oven to reduce the time it normally takes to roast a chicken in your oven.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a 3-lb (1.5 kg) chicken in an 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish. Microwave, covered, on High for 10 to 14 minutes or until chicken is partially cooked. Using two spatulas, transfer chicken to a shallow roasting pan. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices, until meat thermometer registers 180°F (85°C).
© 2004 Johanna Burkhard
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.