- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 37 Times
Simply prepared, these light rolls of chicken breast have zesty Italian flavor.
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 16 large basil leaves, plus more to serve
- 12 sun-dried tomato halves in oil, drained
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 8 oz (230g) penne, cooked
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). One at a time, lightly pound each chicken breast with a flat meat pounder between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until the breast is about ¼ in (5mm) thick.
2. Place the chicken breasts, smooth sides down, on a work surface. Season with salt and pepper. Spread each breast with a little garlic. Arrange 4 basil leaves and 3 sun-dried tomato halves evenly over each piece of chicken.
3. Roll up the chicken to enclose the filling and secure with wooden toothpicks. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish. Place the breasts in the dish and brush with oil. Pour the crushed tomatoes and wine around the breasts.
4. Bake, basting with the sauce halfway through, about 25 minutes, until the chicken is opaque when pierced with a knife.
5. Transfer the chicken to a carving board. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the toothpicks and cut crosswise into ½ in (13mm) thick slices. Arrange the slices on individual dinner plates. Add the penne and spoon the sauce on top. Garnish with basil and serve hot.
Nutritional Benefits: low fat.
Prepare ahead: Prepare through step 3, then cover and refrigerate for a few hours until ready to bake.
Freezing Information: freeze the pinwheels for up to 1 month.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.