Chicken Mac and Cheese
We call this the grown-up version of Mac and Cheese at Foster’s Market; all you need is a crisp green salad to make your meal complete.
Serves8 to 10
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebubbly, cheesy, creamy, meaty, savory
Type of Dishcasserole
- 8 ounces orecchiette or any bite-size pasta shape such as ziti, penne, shells or bow ties
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram leaves (sub parsley)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter a 9 by 13 by 3-inch baking dish.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Add the pasta, stir, and cook according to the package instructions, until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and put it in a large bowl, toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Heat the remaining olive oil and the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes, just to cook the flour slightly, do not let it brown.
Whisk in the milk and cream and cook, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheddar, Parmesan, chicken, marjoram, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
6. Add the cheese chicken mixture to the pasta and toss to coat the pasta evenly. Place in the prepared baking dish, scraping all the sauce from the bowl, and bake for about 45 minutes or until it is bubbling around the edges and slightly brown on top. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
2016 Sara Foster