- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 73 Times
Make sure the chicken is thoroughly coated in egg and bread crumbs to prevent the butter from leaking out.
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1½ cups fresh bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Combine the butter, garlic, parsley, and lemon zest in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. On a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a thick rectangle, then enclose in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, until firm.
2. One at a time, pound each breast between two sheets of plastic wrap with a meat pounder to an even thickness. Season the breasts. Cut the butter into 4 equal sticks and place a stick on each chicken breast. Fold in the sides, then roll up the chicken completely around the butter.
3. Roll each chicken packet in flour, then in beaten egg, and finally into the bread crumbs to coat evenly. Take care to keep the chicken closed around the butter.
4. Add enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large saucepan and heat over high heat to 350°F (180°C). Add the chicken and cook about 5 minutes, until deep golden brown.
5. Transfer the cooked chicken to paper towels and drain briefly. Serve hot.
Prepare ahead: The chicken can be prepared through step 3 and refrigerated for up to 1 day.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and 2 cups oil for frying.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox