This is a variation on an old Chinese recipe. Turkey may be used in place of the chicken.
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1½ cups finely chopped onions
- ¾ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1½ teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Cognac
- ½ cup chicken broth, if needed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¾ cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 heads chilled iceberg lettuce
Cut the chicken into small dice. Sauté the onions and green peppers in butter over medium heat until they begin to soften; do not brown. Add the chilies, hot pepper, rice, and chicken, and toss well. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the basil, salt, pepper, Cognac, and chicken broth, if additional moisture is needed. Taste for seasoning and heat through.
Place in a bowl and garnish with parsley and almonds. Arrange chilled lettuce leaves in another serving dish. Invite guests to serve themselves: spoon some of the chicken mixture onto a cold lettuce leaf and roll it up.