- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 14 Times
This is a variation on an old Chinese recipe. Turkey may be used in place of the chicken.
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1½ cups finely chopped onions
- ¾ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1½ teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Cognac
- ½ cup chicken broth, if needed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¾ cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 heads chilled iceberg lettuce
Cut the chicken into small dice. Sauté the onions and green peppers in butter over medium heat until they begin to soften; do not brown. Add the chilies, hot pepper, rice, and chicken, and toss well. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Then add the basil, salt, pepper, Cognac, and chicken broth, if additional moisture is needed. Taste for seasoning and heat through.
Place in a bowl and garnish with parsley and almonds. Arrange chilled lettuce leaves in another serving dish. Invite guests to serve themselves: spoon some of the chicken mixture onto a cold lettuce leaf and roll it up.
© 1989, 2001 James Beard
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox