This dish is a classic because it’s so tasty. The addition of broccoli to the traditional ingredients adds flavor as well as nutrients. Serve this over hot polenta or pasta for a delicious meal.
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cracked black peppercorns
- 8 oz (250 g) cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1 (28 oz/796 ml)can tomatoes, including juice, coarsely chopped
- 12 skinless bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lbs/1.5 kg)
- 2 dried red chile peppers, optional
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups (1 l) broccoli florets, blanched
Large (minimum 5 quart) slow cooker
1. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Add white wine and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil.
2. Arrange chicken over bottom of slow cooker stoneware. Cover with sauce. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a heatproof serving dish and keep warm in oven.
3. In a skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add chile peppers, if using, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce from slow cooker stoneware and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli and cook until heated through. Combine with chicken and serve.