- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 101 Times
This Italian dish translates as "hunter-style chicken," and is traditionally served with polenta to soak up the delicious juices. Good with soft polenta or pasta and a mixed green salad.
- 4 chicken legs, about 3lb 3oz (1.5kg) total weight
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- One 14.5oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 7 oz (200g) white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp chopped sage
- 8 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- Flameproof casserole
1. Trim any excess fat from the chicken and season them with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. In batches, add the chicken and cook, turning once, for about 4 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate. Pour the fat out of the pan.
2. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and heat over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, until softened. Stir in the wine and boil for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits in the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, stock, mushrooms, celery, tomato paste, rosemary, and sage and bring to a simmer.
3. Return the chicken to the pan and cover. Simmer for 40 minutes, or until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced at the bone. During the last 10 minutes, add the olives. Serve hot.
Nutritional Benefits: low fat.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox