- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 47 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
1. Place the beans in a large stockpot. Pour over 8 cups of the water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour, until the beans are tender. Set aside until ready to use.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Add the remaining water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, reserve the poaching liquid, and when cool enough to handle remove the meat from the bones and set aside. Strain the poaching liquid to remove solids, reserving 6 cups, and set aside (see Notes).
3. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pot and add the onions, carrots, bell peppers, jalapeños, and habañero pepper. Sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
4. Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, bay leaves, oregano, and salt and stir to coat vegetables. Simmer 5 minutes to cook the spices and increase flavor.
5. Return the chicken to the pot and add the reserved poaching liquid and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Return the beans to the pan and stir in the bulgur. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the bulgur is tender.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the habañero sauce and garlic.
8. To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the chili into bowls, and top with the chopped cilantro.
VARIATION: TURKEY RED BEAN CHILI
Substitute red kidney beans for black. Sauté 1 pound of ground turkey meat in 2 tablespoons oil until browned and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon, reserving the oil in the pan. Pick up the recipe where instructed to sweat the Vegetables In oil (step 3). Add the turkey meat when instructed to add chicken, 8 cups Vegetable stock or water and tomatoes (step 5). Proceed with the recipe as directed.
To de-fat the stock, refrigerate for 1 hour, until a fat layer forms on the surface. Skim the layer of fat off the top and discard.
12 jalapeño peppers, stem ends trimmed and halved crosswise
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a sealable container.
2. Refrigerate for at least 3 days before using.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox