- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 40 Times
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs and breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups Blonde Chicken Stock
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, reserving the oil in the pan, and set aside.
2. Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pan and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
3. Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and stir to coat the vegetables.
4. Return the chicken to the pan and add the stock and pearl barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour, until the barley is tender.
5. Stir in the vermouth and simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
6. To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with the chopped parsley.
Sauté 3 pounds of beef short ribs in 2 table-spoons of vegetable oil until browned on all sides, add 10 cups of mineral or filtered water and bring to a boil reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, remove the beef ribs with a slotted spoon, reserving the stock, and when cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones and set aside, strain the stock to remove solids, remove surface oil, and reserve 8 cups. Proceed as directed to Step 4. Return the beef and stock to the pan and stir in the pearl barley. Continue with the recipe.
© 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegal, and Peter Siegal
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and does not include Blonde Chicken Stock. For Nutritional information on Blonde Chicken Stock, please see link above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox