- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 15 Times
We've learned that the trick to perfect Jambalaya is taking...our...time. No need to rush this dish. Make this soup in a series of steps for the most wonderful meal you've ever had.
- 2 links (about ¾ pound) andouille sausage
- 10 cups mineral or filtered water
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ pound tasso ham, diced, or smoked ham
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 6 cups Basic Shellfish Stock
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound lobster meat
- ½ cup chopped scallions
1. Combine the sausage and 5 cups of the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and poach for 10 minutes. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and reserve 2 cups of liquid. When the sausage is cool enough to handle, slice into rounds and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Add the remaining 5 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and reserve the broth for another use. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones and set aside (discard bones).
3. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the stockpot and add the onion, celery, green and red peppers, and ham. Sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
4. Add the thyme, oregano, bay leaves, the onion, garlic and mustard powders, the cayenne, the black and white peppers, and the salt. Stir to coat the vegetables.
5. Add the tomatoes, shellfish stock, reserved sausage poaching liquid, reserved chicken, and sliced andouille sausage.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Add the rice and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Stir in the shrimp and lobster. Simmer for 3 minutes, until the shrimp are bright red and cooked through.
9. To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the jambalaya into shallow bowls, and top with the chopped scallions.
© 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegal, and Peter Siegal
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and does not include Basic Shellfish Stock. For nutritional information on Basic Shellfish Stock, please see link above.